- Physician and researcher
- Professor, Department of Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine
Dr. Cauchon has pursued a versatile career as family medicine clinician, teacher and researcher for over 25 years. Since 1988, he has worked primarily at the Maizerets Family Practice Unit affiliated to the CSSS Québec Nord (Health and Social Services Centre).
He has also been a Lecturer (1988-1998), Clinical Professor (1998-2002), and is now Associate Professor (since 2006) at the Department of Family and Emergency Medicine at Université Laval.
His academic activities have been marked by his interest in managing and appraising scientific information and data and integrating it into clinical care. He has developed an online multidisciplinary teaching program in critical appraisal, now widely accessed by francophone health professionals.
- Knowledge transfer using new communication technologies
- Examples of innovative research projects: Reducing use of antibiotics for treating acute respiratory tract infections and judicious use of therapeutic and preventive interventions, in both cases using decision aids based on best available scientific evidence and a shared decision making approach.
Dr. Cauchon is frequently solicited as a lecturer at continuing professional development congresses, both provincial and national. In addition, he has presented over a hundred scientific papers at national and international meetings on a variety of themes such as evidence-based medical practice, the use of technologies for managing clinical information, and shared decision making.
Research Grants and Awards
- Dr. Cauchon has received approximately $500,000 in research grants as co-applicant or collaborator. He has received university awards for excellence in teaching (2007 and 2011) and received an Honorable Mention from the Quebec Ministry of Education for his distance learning courses and for excellence in teaching.
- In 2013, he was awarded the Family Physician of the Year prize by the the College of Family Physicians of Canada.
- Dr. Cauchon's published articles include 25 that have appeared in peer-reviewed journals. He has also written 40 articles (1997 to 2009) for Critique et Pratique, a weekly column in the journal Actualité médicale that promotes evidence based medical practice. This column has been published online by the Canadian Medical Association under the title InfoPratique since 2010.
- He is also a member of the team that created InfoClinique, a medical search engine providing access to evidence-based clinical information.